Facilities Maintenance Mechanic
Salary: $30.48 - $45.72
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Aspen / Roaring Fork, CO
Publish Date: Posted May 12, 2023
*Up to $3,000 Sign On Bonus May Be Available*
Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received. The application must be filled out completely; stating “see resume” anywhere in the application, is not an acceptable substitute for a completed application.
Enjoy Industry Leading Benefits:
Generous paid vacation and extended sick leave, holidays, and flexible work arrangements.
Free and discounted transportation options to get around Aspen and the Valley.
Professional development and learning opportunities, including a tuition reimbursement program.
Health and wellbeing options that include Medical, Dental, Vision, robust and accessible employee assistance program, and nationally recognized wellbeing platform.
Monetary bonuses for healthy lifestyle choices and to use towards other personal needs.
Plan for your future with competitive employer contributions to a 401a retirement plans and Social Security, in addition to an individual 457b retirement plan and Roth IRA option. Have peace of mind with life and disability insurance.
The City of Aspen is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Essential Job Functions:
• Troubleshoots/repairs a wide variety of electro-mechanical devices, including but not limited to: DDC Building Management Systems, programming, control installation and all other electrical, electronic and power distribution systems in a variety of Parks and Recreation Department Facilities.
Commercial and Industrial Refrigeration Systems, HVAC
• Assist with maintenanance for Ammonia Refrigeration Plants including major overhauls of Vilter reciprocating compressors. Employee will receive training if not otherwise qualified.
• Assist with repairs to commercial air conditioning units.
• Assist in the maintenance and upkeep of HVAC systems, including but not limited to preventative maintenance tasks, filter replacement, electrical troubleshooting, and repair, etc.
• Performs general carpentry; installing cabinets, shelves, doors, counters, finish trim, and framing. Removes winter ice dams, replaces roof screws, repairs leaks, re-caulks seams and flashing, and removes snows as required.
• Completes painting projects including cut-in, masking, prepping and painting all finishes using brush, rollers, airless and compressed air sprayers.
• Removes/restores grout, cut and replace tiles, pour/finish standard concrete.
• Operates heavy equipment to complete special projects (front end loaders, backhoes, man lifts, tractors, and snowblowers.)
• Fabricates parts, assemblies, and structures of various types.
• Troubleshoots/repairs a wide variety of machines including but not limited to: air compressors, steam generators, regenerative blowers, ozone generators, scrubbers, vacuums, ice edgers, Zambonis, pressure washers, exercise equipment, HVAC equipment, refrigeration equipment, combustion burners, compressors and blowers, dampers/actuators, de-humidification equipment, man-lifts, tractors, etc.
• Maintains plumbing fixtures, water supply plumbing, hydronic heating systems, refrigeration plant glycol side loops, sanitary sewer systems, water softeners, boilers, pumps, zone valves, PVC plumbing systems, filtration systems, reverse osmosis systems, lift stations, check valves, flow valves, butterfly valves, ball valves, filters, etc.
• Records & maintains all maintenance efforts on logs where applicable. May occasionally be asked to perform janitorial duties.
• When otherwise not qualified, employee may be asked to attend training to learn new skills.
City Organizational Values:
Supports and models the City of Aspen organizational values: Service, Partnership, Stewardship, and Innovation. Organizational values are shared principles that guide behavior across the organization. This position is responsible for upholding and applying these values while performing daily work functions.
Other duties as assigned.
Displays the following key competencies and behaviors in the overall job performance to include knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Service: Provides service with excellence, humility, integrity, and respect in daily work, builds trust by listening, treats people with respect, acknowledges opportunities for improvement, and follows through with commitments.
• Partnership: Actively creates strong, supportive internal and external relationships to attain a common goal and achieve greater impact together.
• Stewardship: Balances social, environmental, and financial responsibilities, evaluating the impact of decision making on a thriving future for all.
• Innovation: Develops technical expertise to pursue new ideas and creative outcomes, grounded in Aspen’s unique culture, opportunities and challenges.
• Communication: Knowledge of effective and appropriate communication. Ability to use knowledge effectively in various contexts which may require oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication.
• Interpersonal: Works to develop strength in interpersonal skills. Has the ability to work well with diverse groups of people, both inside and outside the organization.
• Technology: Demonstrates technology skills sufficient for the nature and level of position. Demonstrates a willingness to learn new technologies and transition job duties accordingly to support technological advances and innovation.
• Other: Knowledge of and ability to use electrical equipment, components, instruments, and systems, including their design, installation, testing, uses, repair, or maintenance.
• Other: Knowledge of and ability to use machines and tools, including their designs, installation, uses, repair, and maintenance. Ability to use milling machines, lathes, hydraulic presses, welding equipment, band saws, table saws, core drills, routers, grinding equipment, sanding equipment, polishing equipment, drain snakes, paint sprayers, hoists, man-lifts, pullers, dial indicators and other precision shop tools.
Education: High School diploma or GED.
Experience: Five years of experience in the mechanical trades including any combination of troubleshooting/repair and/or installation of refrigeration equipment, HVAC, Pumps, Motors, Engines, Power Transmission. Experience in the building trades including plumbing, electrical, carpentry, controls, roofing, painting, and all general construction is appropriate for this position.
Technical Knowledge: Must be proficient in the following areas: Microsoft Outlook Email, and a basic understanding of computers and online computer-based technology applications, which includes accessing web based platforms. Additionally, employee must be very knowledgeable in the use of electrical test equipment, ohms law, and basic circuit theory.
Licenses & Certifications:
Must possess a valid Colorado Driver’s License or be able to obtain one within 30 days of start date.
Beneficial but not required qualifications: Aspen Confined Space Certification, IIAR Ammonia Operator Certifications, Pool Operations Certifications (AFO, CPO).
NOTE: Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required abilities, knowledge and skills as determined by the City of Aspen may be substituted for the requirements above.
Preferred Candidate: Knowledge of running an engine lathe, Bridgeport vertical milling machine, hydraulic press, rotary table, grinder, and drill press, ability to weld using a wire-feed are welder, weld, braze and cut metals using an oxyacetylene torch, bend and form metals using presses and manual techniques, safely install rivets of various types, and utilize Wirsbo, PEX and rebuild valves, has experience with DDC controls, especially JCI and/or Delta, possession of Electrical License.
NOTE: This position requires a physical examination and Criminal Background Check upon hire. Employment is contingent upon passing a physical examination and Criminal Background Check.
Position Type and Work Hours:
• Regular full time, hours may vary with workload.
• Evenings/Weekends may be required in addition to or instead of normal hours depending on department needs and special projects.
• Special Events: May be required to work Special Events during holiday periods, such as the 4th of July parade and fireworks display.
• Indoors: Office environment and public recreation facilities that will require exposure to wet, humid conditions, work near moving mechanical parts, extreme cold and extreme heat. There is also risk of electrical shock.
• Outdoors/Off-Site: Meetings, trainings, and site visits at a variety of city facilities and areas. Site visits to outdoor recreation facilities. Position will be exposed to outdoor working conditions in all types of weather.
Visual Acuity: Ability to bring objects into focus.
Balancing: Maintaining equilibrium.
Bending: Bending or position oneself to move an object from one level to another.
Carrying: transporting or moving an object.
Crouching: Bending body downward and forward by bending leg and spine.
Climbing: Ascending or descending stationary objects.
Eye/Hand/Foot Coordination: Performing work through using two or more body parts or other devices.
Gripping/Grasping: Ability to apply pressure with fingers and palm.
Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, through use of hands, fingers, or other means.
Hearing: Perceiving and comprehending the nature and direction of sounds.
Kneeling: Bending legs at knees to come to rest on knee or knees
Lifting: Moving objects weighing no more than 10 pounds from one level to another.
Pushing/Pulling: Ability to use upper extremities to exert force in order to press, draw, drag or haul objects in a sustained motion.
Reaching: Extending the hands and arms or other device in any direction.
Repetitive motions: Making frequent or continuous movements.
Sitting: Remaining in a stationary position.
Standing: Ability to sustain position for a period of time.
Stooping: Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist.
Talking: Communicating ideas or exchanging information.
Walking: Ability to move to traverse from one location to another.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Employee Recognition Program
- Health Insurance
- Hiring Bonuses
- Mental Health Resources
- Paid Time Off
- Pet Friendly