Project Manager – Utilities
Salary: $75,305/yr - $112,944/yr
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Aspen / Roaring Fork, CO
Publish Date: Posted May 23, 2023
Position Summary: Performs professional level planning and management assistance on City water and electric infrastructure projects under the direction of supervisor or other senior staff. Work assignments to include design and review, project bidding, planning, budget management, schedule, and construction oversight. Assists with water and electric infrastructure policy development, consistent with the organization’s mission and values.
Supervision Exercised and Received: Position works under the direct supervision of the Senior Project Manager.
Essential Job Functions
• Develops, manages, and coordinates specific capital improvement projects, plans and specifications.
• Manages design team contracts, monitors design process, presents design work to city council for input and approvals. Reviews all design documents for accuracy, best design practices, and for organizational value.
• Develops materials for applications, appointed boards, elected officials for public outreach. This includes attending public meetings and written communication and oral presentations.
• Oversees city planning, design, construction projects to ensure compliance with bid documents and specifications. Reviews and recommend approval for construction changes and payments.
• Monitors work progress and quality of deliverables from contractor vendors.
• Identifies, communicates, and recommends solutions on design and construction.
• Reviews and analyzes site plans and project documentation for consistency with provisions of the Municipal Codes and applicable standards.
• Performs field site visits, inspections and enforces policies and procedures for compliance
Policy, Procedure, and Standards
• Performs field site visits, inspections and enforcements on Utility Department-related projects and enforces Utility Department policies and standards with the direction of senior staff.
• Supports Utility Staff in development of internal and external department policies and procedures as the Utility Department conducts daily business with other City departments and the public.
Engineering Design and Analysis
• Performs engineering design work, including researching data and determining criteria in accordance with required standards and codes.
• Prepares engineering design and analysis related deliverables to include but not be limited to: council memos, reports, calculations, sketches, plans, specifications, project manuals, and estimates.
• Anticipates activities that may impact the public and works to inform the public in a timely and appropriate manner. Works directly with customers on providing information, answering questions, and addressing concerns related to various water and electric facility projects.
• Under normal supervision, within a relative standard work situation, the employee performs duties common to the line of work without close supervision or detailed instruction. Work product is subject to continual review. Does not supervise others but leads small to mid-size projects.
• Manages and monitors budget for small to mid-size projects. This includes determining budget estimates for projects.
• Prepares project budgets, monitor expenditures to ensure costs do not exceed budget and approves payments.
• Tracks and reports progress of projects using Oracle and other tools to effectively communicate project status to City Staff and Council.
City Organizational Values
• Supports and models the City of Aspen organizational values: Service, Partnership, Stewardship, and Innovation. Organizational values are shared principles that guide behavior across the organization. This position is responsible for upholding and applying these values while performing daily work functions.
Displays the following key competencies in the overall job performance to include knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Service: Provides service with excellence, humility, integrity, and respect in daily work, builds trust by listening, treats people with respect, acknowledges opportunities for improvement, and follows through with commitments.
• Partnership: Actively creates strong, supportive internal and external relationships to attain a common goal and achieve greater impact together.
• Stewardship: Balances social, environmental, and financial responsibilities, evaluating the impact of decision making on a thriving future for all.
• Innovation: Develops technical expertise to pursue new ideas and creative outcomes, grounded in Aspen’s unique culture, opportunities and challenges.
• Communication: Knowledge of effective and appropriate communication. Ability to use knowledge effectively in various contexts which may require oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication.
• Interpersonal: Works to develop strength in interpersonal skills. Has the ability to work well with diverse groups of people, both inside and outside the organization.
• Technology: Demonstrates technology skills sufficient for the nature and level of position. Demonstrates a willingness to learn new technologies and transition job duties accordingly to support technological advances and innovation.
• Utility Facilities: Knowledge in the design, construction/installation, and inspection of water and electric facilities.
• Engineering: Knowledge of the principles and practices of engineering, engineering design work, construction and project management, and of engineering compliance requirements. Knowledge in the design, installation, and inspection of water, electric, and stormwater facilities.
• Utility Infrastructure: Knowledge of materials, methods, and tools involved in the design, construction, or repair of water and electric infrastructure.
• Plan Design: Can use design techniques, tools, and principals involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
Other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Civil or Electrical Engineering or related sciences.
Experience: One to two years of experience in Civil or Electrical Engineering or related field.
Technical Knowledge: Must be proficient in the following areas: Microsoft Outlook Email, and a basic understanding of computers and online computer-based technology applications, which includes accessing web-based platforms. Knowledge of and ability to use design techniques, tools, and principals involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
Licenses & Certifications: Must possess a valid Colorado Driver’s License or be able to obtain one within 30 days of start date. Possession of or ability to obtain Colorado FE/EIT within six (6) months of date of hire.
NOTE: Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required abilities, knowledge and skills as determined by the City of Aspen may be substituted for the requirements above.
NOTE: This position requires a Criminal Background Check upon hire. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Position Type and Work Hours:
• Regular full time, hours may vary with workload.
• Evenings/Weekends may be required depending on department needs and special projects.
• Indoors: Office environment.
• Outdoors/Off-Site: Performs site visits to construction sites, attends meetings, and conferences.
Visual Acuity: Ability to bring objects into focus.
Balancing: Maintaining equilibrium.
Bending: Bending or position oneself to move an object from one level to another.
Carrying: transporting or moving an object.
Crouching: Bending body downward and forward by bending leg and spine.
Climbing: Ascending or descending stationary objects.
Eye/Hand/Foot Coordination: Performing work through using two or more body parts or other devices.
Gripping/Grasping: Ability to apply pressure with fingers and palm.
Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, through use of hands, fingers, or other means.
Hearing: Perceiving and comprehending the nature and direction of sounds.
Kneeling: Bending legs at knees to come to rest on knee or knees
Lifting: Moving objects weighing no more than 50 pounds from one level to another.
Pushing/Pulling: Ability to use upper extremities to exert force in order to press, draw, drag or haul objects in a sustained motion.
Reaching: Extending the hands and arms or other device in any direction.
Repetitive motions: Making frequent or continuous movements.
Sitting: Remaining in a stationary position.
Standing: Ability to sustain position for a period of time.
Stooping: Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist.
Talking: Communicating ideas or exchanging information.
Walking: Ability to move to traverse from one location to another.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Education / Training
- Employee Recognition Program
- Health Insurance
- Hiring Bonuses
- Mental Health Resources
- Paid Time Off
- Pet Friendly
- Retention Bonuses