Hazardous Waste Specialist-Solid Waste and Recycling- Up to $5000 Bonus and Housing may be available!
Salary: Hiring Salary: $50,378-$62,548.
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Vail Valley, CO
Publish Date: Posted November 18, 2022
Hiring Salary: $50,378-$62,548. The Hazardous Waste Specialist is familiar with environmental regulations, hazardous waste treatment, storage and disposal rules DOT regulations, and health, and safety regulations. The Hazardous Waste Specialist supervises all operations of the Household Hazardous Waste Facility. This job may be required to work varied days including weekends and holidays. *Housing may be available! $5000 bonus: $2500 sign-on bonus, paid out on employee’s first paycheck & up to $2500 retention bonus, paid out after 6 months of employment, based on attendance and performance. Schedule: Monday – Friday 8a-5p Essential Functions:
- Receives, sorts and packages collected HHW material for off-site disposal.
- Must be able to identify unknown wastes down to the DOT hazardous class using appropriate tools.
- Professionally manage the Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator program, track materials collected, invoice customers, and collect small quantities of cash.
- Investigate and recommend cost-effective disposal options for collected materials
- Maintain vendor records, as well as, material and origin records.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual HHW budget.
- Develop public outreach/education programs.
- Prepares and maintains daily, weekly, monthly and annual required reports.
- Meets with consultants and or regulatory agencies as needed.
- May be required to work varied days to include weekends and holidays.
- Observes safety and security procedures, uses equipment and materials safely and reports potentially unsafe conditions.
- Serves the community by demonstrating Eagle County Government mission and core values and following relevant policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification, or Registration:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Environmental Science/Engineering, Chemistry or in a related field of study; or any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and ability.
- CHMM (Certified Hazardous Materials Manager) certification preferred.
- One year of minimum experience in hazardous waste management or related fields, two years is preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, a satisfactory motor vehicle record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to wear a respirator mask for long periods of time.
- Strong computer knowledge including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Google, and scale weighing software. Experience with Google Suite is preferred.
- Terminology associated with hazardous waste management.
- Must be familiar with local, state and federal regulations relating to the management and temporary storage of common household hazardous wastes.
- Hazardous waste characteristics.
- Making accurate calculations.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
Culture & Benefits Working in local government is one of the best career paths in the mountains. ‘Your Career will Soar with Eagle County’. Get started with us today! Why is Eagle County recognized as a Best Place to Work in 2022? Culture of flexibility and support for mental health / wellness. Check out more awards here. Purpose! A modern, values-driven workplace with more than 550 employees embracing a welcoming culture, supportive leaders and an organization focused on our mission: Creating a Better Eagle County for All. Learning organization focused on professional development opportunities, FREE CMC classes and Tuition reimbursement. Future focused with our Strategic Plan on improving housing, climate change and more. As a certified healthy workplace, our culture recognizes the importance of individual needs and enjoying life outside of work. Other perks may include flexible work arrangements, paid volunteer time, and daytime fitness classes/bike rides. Great benefits! See the details
- Comprehensive and low-cost medical, dental, and vision insurance (as low as $75/month for employee only)
- Wellness program where you can earn cash or extra days off
- 12 paid holidays
- Paid time off (starting at 12 days) and additional medical leave
- Paid volunteer hours
- 6% (dollar for dollar match) retirement plan
- Free classes at Colorado Mountain College
- Eagle County University classes (internal trainings)
- Tuition reimbursement programs
- Bilingual Pay Incentive
- Free bus pass and more
Eagle County is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Working in a diverse, respectful and inclusive environment is essential for our employees to be successful in serving our community. We do not discriminate with regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Relocation & Housing Information
- Education / Training
- Employee Recognition Program
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retention Bonuses