Salary: Hiring Salary: $79,661-$99,587.
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Vail Valley, CO
Publish Date: Posted November 18, 2022
Hiring Salary: $79,661-$99,587.
The Senior Accountant is a trusted resource who dives into and solves unique and complex financial problems and contributes to the success of the organization. This role is responsible for a range of financial duties including recording financial information and preparing financial reports, analyzing financial information, and setting practices and policies to ensure the organization is making thoroughly vetted financial decisions.
We would be willing to consider applicants that have strong technical accounting skills but less experience than outlined in the description. Alternatively, if an applicant has the skills and desire to be part of the department’s management team, we’d be willing to discuss that as well.
Applicants are encouraged to apply by Monday, Dec 5th, however, this position will remain posted until filled.
Schedule: Monday – Friday 8am-5pm.
- Serves as the primary resource and subject matter expert for the organization related to complex accounting questions and considerations; digs in to understand the scope of the questions and implications of various options and synthesizes and makes recommendations to ensure integrity and quality of financial records.
- Directs and oversees the county and its affiliates financial management operations to ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles , assisting departments in understanding, implementing, and following internal policies and procedures to ensure financial transactions are properly recorded. Responsible for defining, organizing, and completing month-end and year-end duties.
- Leads the financial audit preparation and communication with external auditors and other partners. Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal regulations. Continually evaluates and ensures compliance with established internal controls and makes suggestions for improvement.
- Leads on-going management of Eagle County debt to ensure compliance with disclosure agreements and other requirements. Coordinates the organization’s bond rating agency process. Assists Chief Financial Officer in coordinating additional borrowing of funds.
- Monitors and implements new accounting guidance and reporting requirements issued by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and communicates changes to departments and coordinates with external auditors and documents new procedures adopted.
- Establishes, evaluates, and improves financial policies, and procedures.
- This position may include some supervisory duties, depending on the candidate
- Observes safety and security procedures, uses equipment and materials safely and reports potentially unsafe conditions.
- Serves the community by demonstrating Eagle County Government mission and core values and following relevant policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification, or Registration:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting from an accredited university
- Master’s in Business Administration from an accredited university
Experience- Minimum Work Experience and Qualifications:
- 7+ years of experience in the accounting/financial reporting field
- Direct experience with preparation of annual comprehensive financial reports or other financial audits
Preferred Work Experience
- Experience with pivot tables and high-level dynamic reporting
- Experience with New World Systems Financial Management or similar ERP software
- Governmental accounting experience
Licensure, Certification, or Registration:
- Certified Public Accountant or Certified Professional Finance Officer certification preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Attention to details, strong organizational skills, ability to meet critical deadlines. Self-motivated and self-monitoring individual.
- Must be proficient working with computers and spreadsheets including pivot tables and high-level dynamic reporting
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Effective interpersonal skills including the ability to maintain confidentiality and use judgment and tact.
- Must be able to prioritize, organize, and coordinate assigned project workload and resources necessary to meet deadlines while maintaining high quality and accurate final work product and outcomes. This includes the ability to multitask, work under pressure, meet deadlines, and adapt to working on different priorities as they come up.
- Ability to analyze complex financial data and procedures and make appropriate conclusions and recommendations
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills with an ability to prioritize and anticipate next steps and take action
- Sets a good example of how to do the job; demonstrates personal integrity, responsibility, and accountability. Provides advice and assistance to help others accomplish their work.
- Approaches a complex task or problem by breaking it down into its component parts and considering each part in detail. Weighs the costs, benefits, risks, and chances for success, in making a decision.
- Spanish is helpful
Culture & Benefits
Working in local government is one of the best career paths in the mountains. ‘Your Career will Soar with Eagle County’. Get started with us today!
- Why is Eagle County recognized as a Best Place to Work in 2022? Culture of flexibility and support for mental health / wellness. Check out more awards here.
- Purpose! A modern, values-driven workplace with more than 550 employees embracing a welcoming culture, supportive leaders and an organization focused on our mission: Creating a Better Eagle County for All.
- Learning organization focused on professional development opportunities, FREE CMC classes and Tuition reimbursement.
- Future focused with our Strategic Plan on improving housing, climate change and more.
As a certified healthy workplace, our culture recognizes the importance of individual needs and enjoying life outside of work. Other perks may include flexible work arrangements, paid volunteer time, and daytime fitness classes/bike rides.
Great benefits! See the details
- Comprehensive and low-cost medical, dental, and vision insurance (as low as $75/month for employee only)
- Wellness program where you can earn cash or extra days off
- 12 paid holidays
- Paid time off (starting at 12 days) and additional medical leave
- Paid volunteer hours
- 6% (dollar for dollar match) retirement plan
- Free classes at Colorado Mountain College
- Eagle County University classes (internal trainings)
- Tuition reimbursement programs
- Bilingual Pay Incentive
- Free bus pass and more
Eagle County is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Working in a diverse, respectful and inclusive environment is essential for our employees to be successful in serving our community. We do not discriminate with regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Relocation & Housing Information
- Health Insurance
- Mental Health Resources
- Paid Time Off