Salary: $33.69 - $47.17
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Vail Valley, CO
Publish Date: Posted February 22, 2023
Applications have closed
Our organization is the steward of public funds collected to provide a defined service to our constituents. We manage these funds with integrity and a high level of responsibility to our customers and community. This position is responsible for maintaining accurate general ledgers representing financial transactions, subsidiary records for accounting purposes and payroll systems including processing, reconciliation, and reporting. A great candidate for this role is someone equally comfortable and enthusiastic about diving into spreadsheets to crunch numbers, learning and utilizing a variety of applications, and working with others to provide an efficient vital service to the community.
Why work for us? The work you do as an accountant in the heart of the Eagle River valley will support our mission of providing efficient, effective, and reliable water and wastewater utility services in a manner that respects the natural environment. Additionally, we offer excellent benefits including medical, dental, & vision coverage, employee housing & stipend program, relocation assistance, retirement savings plans, and ample opportunities for professional development.
The Day to Day:
- Performs a variety of technical accounting duties in support of accounts payable functions for the purpose of ensuring proper processing of related forms and records according to established standards, requirements, and procedures; ensures accurate and timely payment of organizational financial obligations.
- Performs a variety of technical accounting duties in support of accounts receivable functions for the purpose of ensuring accurate and timely receipt of owed monies
- Checks invoices and matches with purchase orders and receivers
- Reconciles various financial transactions, statements, and accounts to ensure that all transactions, receipts, collections, refunds, adjustments, stop payments, returned items, and transfers are valid, and balances are correctly stated in the general ledger in accordance with various statutory requirements
- Prepares, enters, and adjusts journal entries to properly reflect the District’s daily, monthly, and annual financial condition
- Performs a variety of technical payroll accounting duties for the purpose of ensuring designated employees are paid in an accurate and timely manner
- Reviews and processes time sheets and records
- Performs administration and integration of the District’s purchasing card (P-Card) system for the purpose of assigning cards to new employees, maintaining correct limits, reporting, billing personal charges, uploading charges to accounting system and reviewing sales tax.
- Serves as a liaison between organizational personnel, auditors, and other governmental agencies concerning mandated financial reports and assigned accounting functions or audits
- Prepares and maintains a variety of reports, records and files related to assigned activities.
- Operates a computer and assigned software including word processing, spreadsheet, and database programs
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; accounting degree or related; or three years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be able to read and interpret documents such as financial and technical reports, financial and accounting guidance documents, spreadsheets, and financial models.
- Strong communication skills, proven customer service skills, and the ability to work productively with limited direct supervision.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Experience creating and analyzing budgets.
- Must be able to exercise considerable initiative and sound judgment; read and understand governmental publications and simple legal documents; analyze administrative problems and develop and present sound conclusions and recommendations; plan, coordinate, research, compile, and analyze a variety of reports and projects.
- Must be comfortable with Microsoft Office suite, including SharePoint, Microsoft Dynamics GP, Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Comprehensive knowledge of GAAP and all accounting systems and procedures.
- Advanced technical understanding of financial and Paycom payroll software systems as well as increased responsibility, experience and decision making over accounting functions.
- Knowledge of Solomon Accounting software and CIS Infinity utility software is helpful.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills required, including the ability to manage a large variety of tasks and deadlines in a positive and productive manner.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver’s license within 30 days of full-time employment and be insurable under District’s standards.
- Must obtain CPR/First Aid Certification within the first six (6) months of employment.
The pay range for this role is $33.69 – $47.17 hourly. Starting salary depends on qualifications but generally falls within the minimum and midpoint of the pay range.
There are two levels that fall into this pay range:
- Accountant I
- Accountant II
At ERWSD, we value life-work balance and are leaders in the industry with our holistic benefits package, which includes but is not limited to:
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Employee housing or $361 monthly housing stipend
- Wellness program
- Retirement savings plans (414h and 457)
- 13.5 Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacation, Sick and Comp Time
- Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
- $500 Annual Recreation Benefit
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Loan programs for: Ski Passes, Electrical Vehicles, and Computers
All District employees must submit to a pre-employment drug screen and extensive background check. For a full position description, email firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a hybrid position with the expectation to work in the Vail office at least 2-3 days per week.
All applicants must apply online at www.erwsd.org by March 10, 2023.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions are based on job-related factors.
- Education / Training
- Employee Recognition Program
- Health Insurance
- Mental Health Resources
- Paid Time Off
- Retention Bonuses