Director of Human Resources
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Aspen / Roaring Fork, CO
Publish Date: Posted May 17, 2023
The Viceroy Human Resource Director (HRD) will plan, lead, direct, develop, and coordinate the policies, programming, activities, and staff of the Human Resource (HR) department, ensuring legal compliance and implementation of The Viceroy’s and East West Hospitality’s Vision, Mission and talent strategy. The HRD is responsible for the efficient administration and management of the HR function to include colleague engagement, policies and procedures, wage/benefit administration, compliance with statutory requirements, divisional learning & development, and the execution of colleague relations activities, in order to provide each department with the personnel, guidance, and support necessary to achieve their guest service and business objectives.
- Plans, leads, develops, coordinates, and implements policies, processes, training, initiatives, and surveys to support the Viceroy’s HR compliance and strategy needs.
- Provides high level, professional and strategic HR guidance to Viceroy GM and EC members.
- Administers or oversees the administration of property specific HR functions and programs including, but not limited to, disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; compensation and leave; and training and development.
- Collaborates with senior leadership and Shared Services HR to understand the Viceroy’s goals and strategy related to staffing, recruiting, and retention. Identifies staffing and recruiting needs; develops and executes best practices for hiring and talent management.
- Utilizes all avenues for hiring through the international programs (Work and Travel, Internship, H2B, TN Visas) as well as Hospitality Universities.
- It is a valuable member of the Viceroy’s Executive Committee, a group of executives that lead and drive the Resorts’ initiatives.
- Conducts research and analysis of organizational trends including review of reports and metrics from EWH’s HR systems, including UKG, Cadient and Cornerstone.
- In partnership with EW Shared Services, monitors and ensures the Viceroy’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews and modifies policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- In partnership with EW Shared Services HR, maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law; applies this knowledge to communicate changes in policy, practice, and resources to upper management.
- In partnership with EW Shared Services, participates in comp wage analysis surveys and has industry knowledge of competitive wages and benefits.
- Builds relationships with HR Directors at other Viceroy properties to be able to support or collaborate on any requests or needs for task force.
- Develops and implements departmental budget. Assists other Viceroy departments in budgeting HR related expenses.
- Works with EW Shared Services Director of Learning and Development to coordinate and / or facilitate professional development, training, and certification activities. Responsible for property-specific training initiatives as determined in conjunction with Resort GM and other property leaders.
- Becomes a Social Styles certified facilitator, in order to facilitate EWH training to all colleagues.
- Monitor, understand and support any training initiatives encouraged or required by Viceroy.
- Actively participates in creating and coordinating different colleague recognition and engagement programs
- Actively aware of, and promotes, community events that Viceroy colleagues can participate in, with the purpose of contributing to the wellbeing of our community and its members.
- Sits on the HR Leadership team for the company; provides thoughtful insight, perspective, knowledge and opinion on shaping company HR policies and procedures.
- Participates in, and at times may lead, company initiatives such as Community Involvement, Diversity Committee, Safety Committee, Company Newsletter Committee, and more, all of which fall under EW’s signature THRIVE program.
- Utilizes knowledge of the principles and practices of HR, along with sound, objective decision making, to perform each of the above responsibilities.
- Assist with ensuring employee housing needs are met for all incoming seasonal staff.
- Takes ownership with recruitment for positions in a timely manner.
- Performs other duties as required.
Reports to: Direct report to The Viceroy General Manager; Indirect to East West’s CHRO
Start Date: ASAP
Pay Rate: $115,000-$135,000
Work Location: The Viceroy Snowmass in Snowmass, CO. Onsite required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent service skills.
- Strong track record of partnering with operational leaders to create and drive meaningful and impactful HR programs.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organization’s HRIS and talent management systems.
- Spanish speaking a plus but not required.
- Recruits, interviews, hires, and trains The Viceroy HR team.
- Oversees the daily workflow of the department.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Handles discipline and termination of colleagues in accordance with company policy.
Education and Experience:
- Ideal candidate is a seasoned HR professional with a minimum of four+ years of experience in leading the HR function, preferably in a high-end resort or hospitality environment. Will consider less HR experience if in conjunction with operational leader experience in high-end resort or hospitality environment. Combination of experience and education also considered.
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP highly preferred.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
- Education / Training
- Employee Recognition Program
- Health Insurance
- Mental Health Resources
- Paid Time Off
- Retention Bonuses
- Ski Pass