Sr. Budget Analyst
Salary: is $75,441.60 to $113,172.80/yr DOQ
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Aspen / Roaring Fork, CO
Publish Date: Posted March 22, 2023
Applications have closed
Garfield County seeks a successful public servant to serve as its Sr. Budget Analyst.
Come join our team!
Garfield County, population 60,000+, is one of the largest counties in Colorado, incorporating nearly 3,000 square miles on the western boundary of the state. The area boasts world-class fishing, hunting, skiing, and the nationally recognized Glenwood Hot Springs. Garfield County, along with its neighboring counties, relies heavily on natural resource extraction, tourism, and ranching. About 60% of Garfield County’s lands are federally owned. Garfield County employs 500 EEs and provides services such as Road and Bridge, Public Health, Human Services, and Community Corrections to the citizens of Garfield County.
The Sr. Budget Analyst must have strong communication, analytical and financial management skills, be of high integrity, responsive, and work well within a team environment.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance or a related field and three (3) years’ experience in budget management, or analysis.
Prior experience working in governmental budgeting and/or accounting with an emphasis on budget.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
(These duties are illustrative of typical essential responsibilities of the job, and may vary according to assignment)
Budget Preparation & Development
· Manages the budget process which includes planning and implementing the annual budget preparation process, performing analysis and forecasts, meets with senior management and budget stakeholders to gather input on financial models. Presents budget information as required. Manages the budget systems, and system maintenance and updates.
· Works closely with the Director of Finance and other internal stakeholders to develop budgetary recommendations to support the programs and services essential to County operations.
· Supports departments by reviewing department & division budget requests for accuracy, availability of funds, funding sources, and consistency with budget authority and contractual and operating documents. Manages position control and personnel budgeting in regard to new position requests and funding for positions.
· Works with departments and divisions on supplemental request process, ensuring that supplemental requests meet specified criteria and identifies issues/problems related to the requests. Makes recommendations to senior management and departments regarding supplemental requests based on timing, suitability of funding, and cohesion with County business objectives.
· Assists the Finance Director in the development of policies and procedures related to the budget process.
· Monitors budget performance and provides analytical analysis including forecasting; partners with departments & internal services departments to provide analysis and process support on countywide initiatives and contracting from a budget perspective with the goal of maximizing funding options for County programs and services.
Grants & Capital Projects
· Provides back up support on grants to include budget amendments, and approval/review of disbursement and reimbursements, and reconciles grant reports and advises departments on budget related to grant funding.
· Provides back up support to departments in ensuring that expenditures for budgets, grants, and contracts are monitored and accurately captured in reports.
· Collaborates in the development and tracking of capital project budgets and reporting.
· Identify and drive process improvements to increase efficiencies in process, accuracy, and overall customer satisfaction.
· Provides instruction and answers questions relating to budget procedures and serves a liaison between the Finance office and County departments.
· Conducts finance related training for new employees, mentors and coaches employees on finance processes and procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
(Representing the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required in the position)
· Knowledge in practices and procedures specific to finance and governmental accounting principles, including fiscal and budgetary management and tracking.
· Experience planning, developing, modifying, and monitoring diverse agency budgets.
· Ability to use a variety of mathematical techniques to solve accounting and budgeting problems, and apply advanced math concepts and calculations, balance and reconcile records, and resolve discrepancies.
· Ability to provide exceptional customer service, resolves issues, and is knowledgeable in functional area. Demonstrates and maintains and positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
· Proficiency in computers and computer software, including Microsoft Office 365 suite, specifically Word & Excel.
· Proficient in office administration practices including, record keeping, word processing, and data entry.
· Ability to coach and mentor junior team members on financial processes and procedures.
· Ability to speak, read, and write the English language.
· Ability to work autonomously with a strong team focus.
· Ability to Interpret rules and regulations to carry out reporting requirements and accounting transactions.
· Ability to adapt behavior and work methods in response to changing conditions or unexpected obstacles.
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume. Salary range is $75,441.60 to $113,172.80/yr DOQ. Salary will be based on the candidate’s qualifications and experience. A generous benefits package includes 100% paid health insurance, retirement plan, disability and life insurances, and paid time off.
To view the full job description and benefits, visit www.garfield-county.com and click on “Careers”.
Garfield County is an equal-opportunity employer.
- Education / Training
- Employee Recognition Program
- Health Insurance
- Mental Health Resources
- Paid Time Off
- Ski Pass