Director of Finance and Administration
Salary: $97,311 - $113,506 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Summit, CO
Publish Date: Posted August 19, 2022
Applications have closed
With the outdoors as a backdrop for learning, Keystone Science School inspires curiosity and critical thinking through the lens of science to change lives and strengthen communities.
Located in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, Keystone Science School’s historic campus serves as base camp for our diverse suite of inquiry-based learning programs. We combine hands-on science education with outdoor adventure to create engaging experiences for our students. At KSS, we change lives, we bring fun and laughter to everything we do, we care about each other and those we serve, we strive for excellence, we offer competitive compensation and generous benefits, and we are committed to serving students from diverse backgrounds. We’re proud to be Summit County’s #1 Best Non-Profit and #2 Best Place to Work (2019)! Visit KeystoneScienceSchool.org to learn more!
Program Overview and Job Summary:
Taking a senior role in the organization and serving as a member on the Vision Team (the Leadership Team at KSS), the Director of Finance and Administration is responsible for providing direction for all financial and administrative functions of KSS. The position plays a key role in the leadership and strategic direction of the school as a close partner with the Executive Director. Specifically, the Director of Finance and Admin oversees the ongoing development and implementation of effective, integrated systems for budgeting, payables, reporting, and auditing revenues, expenditures, and asset accountability as well as the overall administrative functions of the organization including its operations.
Working in tandem with the Executive Director, the Director of Finance and Administration ensures the maintenance of internal controls designed to safeguard assets and the integrity of its fiscal systems and provides information as required by the KSS Board of Directors. The position manages a team of 3-5 employees supporting the Finance and Administrative functions.
The most successful candidate will be adept at managing high volumes of data confidentially and applying excellent interpersonal skills to a broad audience. Additionally, we are seeking a problem-solver and someone who approaches problems through a ‘can-do’ lens.
Keystone Science School invites candidates to apply who are energetic, enthusiastic, smart, hard-working, self-directed, dedicated, and fun. Our tagline, Science. Adventure. Fun! summarizes what we seek in our employees: passionate about our work, willing to seek adventure and take risks to improve KSS, and able to laugh along the way.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Main areas of focus in this position are:
– 70% Financial Management and Oversight
– 30% Administration and Operations Oversight
Financial Management and Oversight
– Prepares monthly financial statements in an accurate and timely manner and works with program managers to complete forecasting. Clearly communicates and reviews finances by program area and analyzes any budget variances in partnership with program managers. Presents statements to the KSS Board of Directors and Finance Committee.
– Ensures all accounting policies and procedures for a wide-ranging set of activities maintain compliance with nonprofit 501c3 standards, best practices, and guidelines (examples include: Delegation of Authority, financial reporting, financial accounting, etc.). Ensures policies are documented and implemented.
– Facilitates banking relationships to support all banking needs and maintains contact with insurance brokers for liability coverage review and renewal.
– Interacts extensively with program managers and the Director of Marketing and Strategic Partnerships as well as with other staff in managing revenue and expense budgets. Serves as financial guide and educates managers on financial management and best practices.
– Oversees and leads annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Executive Director; administers and reviews all financial plans and budgets; monitors progress and changes and keeps the KSS Leadership Team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
– Coordinates and leads the annual audit process. Liaises with external auditors and the KSS Finance Committee and assesses any necessary changes.
– Oversees the preparation of the annual tax return (990) to ensure timely submission to the IRS.
– Support the bi-annual benchmarking effort to ensure financial information and data are accurate and adequately represented in all job areas. Serve as a partner in determining benchmarking percentiles for employees with the Human Resources and Equity Director and the Executive Director.
– Hires, manages, and develops the accounting staff team to ensure accuracy of financial management.
– Facilitates and oversees the KSS Finance Committee in partnership with the Finance Committee Chairperson and the Executive Director. Facilitates efficient and effective meetings (at least 4-6 per year). Ensures agendas and packets are prepared and distributed in a timely manner.
– Develops and manages goals and objectives as they relate to the organization’s strategic plan and are approved annually by the KSS Finance Committee and the KSS Board. Provides timely reporting of Key Performance Indicators to the Executive Director and KSS Board.
– Oversees the Sage Intacct general ledger to ensure its efficiency and manages any software updates appropriately.
– Works in partnership with the Development team to oversee grant funding accounting and to reconcile donor giving records between Salesforce and Sage Intacct.
– Works in coordination with the Accounting and Human Resources teams to ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll in Paycom on a biweekly basis including payroll review, approval, and transmittal of payroll. Monitors the receipt of paychecks from Federal Express and manages distribution to employees.
– Works in partnership with the Marketing team to analyze and measure pricing strategies and fee-for-service revenue, and to recognize and audit fee-for-service revenues.
– Other duties as assigned.
Admin and Operations Oversight
– In partnership with the Senior Accountant & Tech Support staff member, oversees computer and other tech (keyboards, etc.) inventory to ensure employees have appropriate resources when needed.
– Support staff understanding and use of cloud platforms – Paycom, Salesforce, Sage Intacct, Google and SharePoint – via onboarding and ongoing training.
– Facilitates employee computer access and manages all KSS computer systems in partnership with third-party consultant and the Senior Accountant & Tech Support staff member.
– Oversees the IT consultant and review Help Desk tickets to alleviate need for external support.
– Ensure organizational compliance in finance and HR capacities in partnership with the HR and Equity Director.
– Manage the Operations team to ensure all facilities are operational (kitchen, dorms, etc.) and staff have the resources needed to effectively do their jobs.
– Oversee Admin and Operations budgets in partnership with HR and Equity Director and the Operations Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – Minimum Requirements:
– KSS uses Sage Intacct, Salesforce, and Paycom for an integrated HRIS, timekeeping, payroll, CRM, and general ledger solution. Strong knowledge and mastery of modern general ledger accounting systems and integrations between other sophisticated software applications is required to succeed in this position.
– Strong knowledge and mastery of Excel including Pivot Tables, Lookups and Sumifs functions;
– Dedicated to the mission of KSS and a commitment to be a part of a passionate team working toward a common goal;
– Ability to think clearly and rationally making decisions that are informed by evidence;
– Possesses a strong work ethic and works until the job is complete;
– Motivated to contribute positively to the KSS at-large community;
– Is able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written or oral form;
– Can multi-task efficiently while managing a high-volume workload in a fast-paced, changing environment;
– Possesses superior customer service skills with the ability to be creative and think ‘outside the box’;
– Has a strong command of communication, writing, and organizational skills;
– Effectively interacts with people of diverse backgrounds and different levels of experience;
– Ability to work in a busy environment with many distractions;
– Displays the ability to mentor and teach others with patience and understanding;
– Possesses a strong attention to detail to write reports, correspondence, and procedure manuals;
– Ability to create, manage, and maintain a budget utilizing Microsoft Excel and Quickbooks;
– Ability to track information and manage high volume of data such as contacts, prospective donors, and participating teachers.
Required Education, Experience, and Certifications:
– Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field from a four-year college or university;
– Must have a minimum of 7 years’ experience in Accounting/Finance roles in progressively challenging positions with at least 5 years in a supervisory role;
– Proficiency or mastery of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), QuickBooks, and Adobe;
– Ability to direct and delegate responsibilities to employees being managed;
– GAAP accounting experience required;
– Current First Aid and CPR certification or ability to obtain within 60 days of employment;
– Excellent driving record and a valid driver’s license.
– Must be able to successfully pass a comprehensive background check.
– Experience using Sage Intacct, Paycom, and / or Salesforce software applications.
– Has, or is working toward, a Certified Public Accountant certification;
– Is able to comprehend the Spanish language via written and/or verbal form;
– Has experience and knowledge of nonprofit accounting best practices and guidelines.
- Employee Recognition Program
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Ski Pass