Public Operations – Operator I
Salary: $48,000 - $60,900
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Vail Valley, CO
Publish Date: Posted November 14, 2022
Applications have closed
The Town of Avon, Colorado, is accepting applications for a Operator I with a concentration in Roads and Bridges in the Public Operations Department.
The Public Operations Operator I is responsible for operating, maintaining, and repairing heavy and small equipment, machines, and hand tools to assist with sustaining Town roads and bridges, stormwater infrastructure, parks, open space, grounds, green belts, and streetscape structure. In addition to offering assistance with Special Events programs, this position assists with painting and set-up of fields for the Recreation programs.
- Operates a variety of gasoline or diesel heavy and small equipment, such as tractors, sweepers, dump trucks, loaders, skid steers, ride mowers, 4×4 pickup trucks, Tool cats, ATVs, club cars, power tools, and hand tools (e.g. drills, weed trimmers, shovels, picks etc.)
- Performs routine pre and post checks and minor maintenance on vehicles and equipment prior to use, emergency repairs if necessary, and will contact a supervisor to coordinate with fleet maintenance mechanics when major repairs are needed
- Plows and clears snow and ice from streets, sidewalks, paths, bus stops, and parking lots. Sands and de-ices slippery surfaces as needed
- Sweeps and cleans roadways, sidewalks, and trails and cleans and maintains culverts, ditches, and shoulders
- Assists with minor asphalt and concrete re-construction and patching of roadways, sidewalks, curbs, and gutters to seal cracks, fill potholes, and repairs brick pavers
- Assists in cleaning and flushing manhole catch basins, and storm sewer pipelines
- Assists with manufacturing and installing new and replacement road and town signs
- Assists in responding to accidents involving damaged light poles and assists electrician with replacing light poles and lamps
- Removes refuse from receptacles and manually picks up trash in park and other public areas daily
Avon is a vibrant, year-round mountain resort community with an unpretentious, small-town feel. It serves as both a destination and a comfortable place to call home, where visitors and residents alike can enjoy living, working, and playing in a spectacular outdoor setting.
The Town of Avon is responsible for much of what goes on in this one-of-a-kind town. Whether it’s fixing a pothole, hosting an event in picturesque Nottingham park, teaching swim lessons in our 40,000 sq. ft., full-service Recreation Center, or providing police services, our team is behind it. Whether you’re looking for a full-time career or a seasonal part-time job, the Town of Avon is a great place to work and grow. We offer a wide variety of positions, fantastic locations, supportive leadership, and excellent benefits.
Benefits for full-time employees include:
- Retirement match of 11%
- Life insurance
- Avon Recreation Center pass
- Health, Rx, vision, and dental insurance
- Paid vacation, sick days, and holidays
TOWN OF AVON CULTURE STATEMENT
Town Employees provide excellent public service to the Avon community through a shared commitment to the core values of the Town of Avon Culture Statement.
Public Service: We are committed to an effective, community-focused organization that passionately engages and serves our residents, property owners, businesses, and guests.
Openness: We are open, transparent, complete, objective and respectful of opposing views with all Town officials and with the public in our decisions and actions.
Leadership: We perform our work with commitment, passion, collaboration, fairness, honesty and courage to elevate our performance, the performance of our co-workers, and the character of our community.
Integrity: We are professional, ethical, responsible and accountable in our decisions and actions.
Stewardship: We are custodians and stewards of the Town’s financial, physical, environmental and natural resources on behalf of current and future generations.
- Education / Training
- Employee Recognition Program
- Health Insurance
- Mental Health Resources
- Paid Time Off
- Ski Pass