Equipment Operator I
Salary: Full time Year Round; Grade 30; minimum $47,370-maximum $63,950 DOQ
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Telluride, CO
Publish Date: Posted September 9, 2022
Under the general direction of the Streets and Utilities Superintendent, the Equipment Operator is responsible for the operation of light to heavy equipment and performs routine unskilled to semi-skilled manual labor to maintain the Town’s streets, sidewalks, right-of-way assets, utilities, and facilities to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the Town’s citizens and visitors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Equipment Operator I Full Job Description(PDF)
Motorized Vehicle and Equipment Operation
- Operates light to heavy equipment and machinery (e.g., small bulldozer, loader, dump truck, grader, skid steer, water truck, pup roller, back-hoe, single/double axel truck, and other equipment as needed) to maintain and repair Town streets and infrastructure
- Performs pre/post inspections for vehicles to ensure proper operation and reports any malfunctions to supervisor and mechanics
- Operates a street sweeper to remove trash and debris from streets
- Operates a snowplow to clear snow accumulation on Town streets; performs snow and ice removal
- Hauls materials and transports equipment to job sites using various equipment; loads and offloads rocks, debris, and other materials from heavy equipment
- Performs maintenance tasks necessary to keep equipment/machinery in good working condition
- Operates vehicle attachments appropriate to the task at hand
- Operates a mobile radio to communicate
- Performs unskilled to semi-skilled construction, maintenance, and labor work
- Operates hand tools such as jackhammers, mechanical tampers, power saws, air compressors, hydraulic drivers, and similar equipment to make general repairs on Town-owned right-of-way assets and facilities
- Performs tasks such as spreading salt or gravel, removing trash/litter, and clearing ditches/storm drains
- Performs snow and ice removal on Town sidewalks, right of ways, and around Town buildings
- Performs pothole and pavement repair
- Installs and maintains streets and traffic signs/posts
- Installs, repairs, and replaces water lines, sanitary sewer lines, and stormwater lines
- Reads, repairs and operates water meters and related equipment
- Paints traffic markings on curbs, streets, parking lines, and crosswalks
- Performs utility locations
- Paints, repairs, and services fire hydrants
- Participates in the annual Spring Cleanup
- Performs asset inventory and collects data for asset management software; creates and completes tasks in asset management software
- Completes other tasks and special projects as assigned
- Operates heavy equipment in compliance with the Town’s operating safety policies and procedures
- Performs pre-and post-trip equipment and vehicle inspections for safety and mechanical issues
- Maintains awareness of surroundings during equipment operation
- Regularly maintains and utilizes Town provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Recognizes and reports unsafe working conditions, injuries, and damage to the supervisor
High school diploma or equivalent required, with one to two years of construction, heavy equipment operation, and maintenance labor experience preferred; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. A valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class B with tanker and airbrake endorsement is required within 3 months of hire. Ongoing participation in confined space training, and CPR and First Aid training are required. Water distribution/collection system certification 1 & 2 and flagger certification desirable, or ability to obtain within 2 years.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
Knowledge of: heavy and light equipment operation and maintenance; safety standards and practices of the hazards, safety rules, and precautions associated with the operation of heavy equipment; proper attachment of connection points for equipment accessories including hydraulic or electrical connections; basic vehicle inspection and maintenance; street surfacing application, materials, and processes; general knowledge of the policies, procedures, and activities of the Town and Public Works Department.
Skill in: hand and foot coordination; effective written and verbal communication skills; working independently and collaboratively; time management; attention to detail; maintaining awareness of surroundings while operating equipment; making decisions to prevent accidents and damage to property, understanding and abiding by all safety rules.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works outside on Town’s streets in all types of weather, with high UV rays in the summer, and cold temperatures in the winter. The employee must be able to operate a motor vehicle in all types of weather. Work may be performed in confined spaces and at heights up to 25 feet. Must be able to accommodate an on-call schedule as required on a rotating basis.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to operate heavy machinery and must be able to coordinate hands and eyes in using the equipment. The employee must be able to climb to heights of 10 ft to perform vehicle checks. The employee must be able to hear and comprehend radio messages. The employee must be able to sustain heavy physical exertion such as using a shovel for an extended period of time and be able to lift more than 50lbs and occasionally move objects up to 100 lbs. This position is subject to random drug and alcohol testing in accordance with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Regulations.
Full-Time Year Round. Grade 30; minimum $47,370 – maximum $ 63, 950 DOQ
The Town of Telluride offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, retirement with Town match, paid time off, sick leave, comp time, 10 paid holidays, and a merchant ski pass!
Email the Employment Application(PDF), cover letter, and resume to Julia Prejs, Administrative Services Director.
- Education / Training
- Health Insurance
- Mental Health Resources
- Paid Time Off
- Ski Pass