Public Safety Technology Engineer
Salary: Expected hiring range: $71,232 - $85,479 DOE
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Vail Valley, CO
Publish Date: Posted November 18, 2022
Applications have closed
The Town of Vail is now hiring a Public Safety Technology Engineer to join our team!
Hiring Range: $71,232 – $$85,479 depending on qualifications and experience
Application Deadline: December 2, 2022
Expected Interview Timeline: Week of December 9, 2022
The primary responsibility of the Public Safety Technology Engineer is to maintain and administer the systems and hardware used by the Public Safety departments for the Town of Vail. Additionally, this role will work closely with the Police Department on specific processes and systems used to manage digital evidence, including images and videos captured by the town’s cameras. Work is performed in accordance with federal and state laws plus established policies/procedures with considerable need for independent judgment and a high degree of accuracy.
Public Safety Technology Engineer duties include, but are not limited to:
- Implement, upgrade, and support the systems & client applications used by the town’s Public Safety departments, including but not limited to
- Digital evidence software
- Physical evidence software
- Several camera capture, storage and playback systems
- Town-wide, bus, etc.
- License Plate Recognition (LPR) software
- Implement, upgrade, and support the hardware used by the town’s Public Safety departments, including but not limited to: All laptops – take-home and in-car devices This includes the ability to understand imaging systems and processes to streamline the build process
- Mobile devices – both phones and tablets This includes the ability to understand and support our Mobile Device Management system – JAMFNow, as well as Apple Business Manager
Body-worn, in-car, and interview room camera management (Axon system hardware)
- In-car network device management (e.g. Cradlepoint modems)
- Gain a clear understanding of the evidentially chain of custody, integrity of evidence and property.
- This position needs to be able to effectively support the PD and Records teams with evidence systems.Includes working with DA’s office on digital evidence requests
- Coordinates and performs upgrades and troubleshooting of related hardware/software; addresses security threats.
- Provides specialized technical guidance and training to end-users.
- Works with business partners, suppliers, and other teams to ensure successful execution of electronic records and information management initiatives.
- Maintains current knowledge and expertise of industry standards and trends in technology designed to facilitate electronic information management.
- Assists end-users to define and implement automated workflows and integrate business processes and technology into effective and compliant business solutions, specifically in the area of electronic data and content management.
- Research, develop and test systems and software for use within the Town of Vail’s Public Safety departments.
- Coordinate communications with IT Department as it relates to assigned systems; attend regularly scheduled IT meetings.
- Provide support for town-wide software and hardware, including Citrix virtual desktops
Vail is a guest service oriented and resort destination community. We realize that to set the standard for world-class alpine resorts, our employees make all the difference! That is why we are looking for passionate individuals who strive for excellence in all that they do. Qualified applicants must possess the following:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Professional knowledge of PC architecture and Windows operating systems.
- Must possess advanced software application administration skills.
- Ability to communicate and express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, managers, the general public and other customers.
- Strong customer relations and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to do research, compile reports and make recommendations for various projects and other technical issues.
- Ability to work quickly, accurately and meet deadlines in high-pressure situations.
- Working knowledge and experience with A/V camera systems.
- Working knowledge of video codecs and formats, as well as ability to understand third party DVR/surveillance systems.
- Ability to gain understanding and provide some support for systems used by Dispatch, including Records Management, Computer Aided Dispatch, and console desktops
Education, Experience and Certificates
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in hands-on IT support
Associate’s Degree or equivalent with coursework/work experience in related field required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
**Experience and certifications beyond the Systems Engineer I level may be considered for Systems Engineer II with requisite skills, experience and qualifications.
- Education / Training
- Employee Recognition Program
- Health Insurance
- Mental Health Resources
- Paid Time Off
- Retention Bonuses
- Ski Pass