Chief Human Resources Officer
Salary: $100,000 - $140,000
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Vail Valley, CO
Publish Date: Posted September 9, 2022
The Vail Valley Foundation is in search of a Chief Human Resources Officer (“CHRO”) to guide and manage the overall vision, strategy, and provision of Human Resources services and programs for the Vail Valley Foundation, YouthPower365 and the Vilar Performing Arts Center (collectively referred to as “VVF”).
The Chief Human Resource Officer (CHRO) will be responsible for developing and executing human resource strategy in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of the organization, specifically in the areas of succession planning, talent management, change management, organizational and performance management, training and development, and compensation. The CHRO will provide strategic leadership by articulating HR needs and plans to the executive management team, Board Executive Committee, and the Board of Directors.
The VVF staff consists of approximately 70 full-time and 300 part-time employees, depending on the time of year. This CHRO will lead Human Resource practices and objectives that will provide an employee-oriented, high-performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, quality, productivity and standards, goal attainment, and the recruitment and ongoing development of a superior workforce. The CHRO will serve as a member of the VVF Executive Team and reports to the Chief Financial Officer. This position will also be responsible for office management for both the VVF and YouthPower365 offices and oversee the Office Manager.
Specific duties include:
- Establish and implement HR efforts that effectively communicate and support the company’s mission and strategic vision.
- Develop HR plans and strategies to support the achievement of the overall business operations objectives.
- Function as a strategic business advisor to the executive/senior management of each business unit or specialty group regarding key organizational and management issues.
- Work with the company’s executive management team to establish a sound plan of management succession that corresponds to the strategy and objectives of the company.
- Develop comprehensive strategic recruiting and retention plans to meet the human capital needs of strategic goals.
- Develop and implement comprehensive compensation and benefits plans that are competitive and cost–effective.
- Provide overall leadership and guidance to the HR function by overseeing talent acquisition, career development, succession planning, retention, training, leadership development, compensation and benefits globally.
- Drive annual leadership training and ongoing professional education and development opportunities for each area of the organization and for all levels of staff from executive leadership to entry level employees.
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends, federal and state employment legislation and ensures the organization’s compliance.
- Consistently reviews, makes recommendations, and implements new policies and programs to improve the organization and the employee experience.
- Responsible for the HR budget: maintains fiscal responsibility while providing a quality employee experience.
- Prioritizes and supports the development of a company culture that emphasizes our values: leadership, stewardship, service to others, innovation, empowerment, creativity, accountability, honesty and integrity.
- Collaborates with senior leadership to understand the VVF’s goals and strategy related to staffing, recruiting, and retention.
- Works directly with department managers to assist them with personnel issues such as staffing, talent development, communication, compensation, performance correction, and succession planning.
- Manages the following HR functions: Performance management and improvement systems, review process, and documentation, coaching, disciplinary action, and termination process; Compensation plan and bonus program; Recruiting and staffing strategy, logistics, administration and execution, including the internship program; Leave of absence compliance and administration; Safety in the workplace, workers’ compensation insurance, and OSHA compliance;Maintains knowledge of industry trends, federal and state employment legislation and ensures the organization’s compliance; Consistently reviews, makes recommendations, and implements new policies and programs to improve the organization and the employee experience; Employee coaching, mentoring, grievance counseling, and investigations.
Required skills/abilities include:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem–solving skills.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Thorough knowledge of employment–related laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of and experience with varied human resource information systems.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Additional requirements include:
- Passion and enthusiasm for the mission and vision of the VVF.
- Proven organization, time–management, administrative and computer skills.
- Prior experience with Paycom, ADP or similar payroll software.
- Self–initiative, attention to detail and a customer–centric philosophy.
- Ability to take direction as needed and work within a team environment with professionalism and respect for peers and supervisors.
- Must work independently and with little direction.
- Capable of remaining focused and calm under stressful situations and able to quickly adapt to changing conditions.
- Must be able to quickly develop relationships and build trust with others.
- Must be able to work with confidential and sensitive information with tact and integrity.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Proven ability to make critical decisions independently.
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with internal and external contacts.
- Team approach and willingness to assist others when called upon.
- Accountability and ownership of budget line items.
- Willingness to work irregular and long hours as needed.
- Bilingual in Spanish language preferred but not required.
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check.
Required Education and Experience:
- A BS/BA degree from an accredited college/university; MBA or MA/MS in human resources or related field preferred.
- A minimum of 10+ years of progressive HR experience, with at least five years of executive HR experience. Experience in a non–profit preferred.
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM–SCP) or SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM–CP) certification preferred.
- Education / Training
- Employee Recognition Program
- Health Insurance
- Mental Health Resources
- Paid Time Off
- Ski Pass