Park Maintenance Tech
Salary: $21.29 - 27.00/hr
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Vail Valley, CO
Publish Date: Posted March 9, 2023
You are welcome at Mountain Rec for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what keeps you active. Recreation is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our organization, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So, bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way we PLAY.
Our maintenance team is expanding! Mountain Recreation is looking for a Parks Maintenance Tech to help assist with the maintenance of our outdoor ball fields (March – October) and indoor facilities. In this position, you’ll be responsible for maintaining the grounds outside of the building to include but not limited to trimming of grass, trees, shrub removal, and planting of all types of plants, as well as snow removal and hazards/obstructions removal in the winter.
Salary: $21.29 – 31.94/hr; Non-Exempt; DOE
Location: Eagle County, Co; Eagle, Gypsum and Edwards
General Statement of Duties: Park Maintenance Tech II is the intermediate level in park maintenance. This position performs elevated the duties of Park Maintenance and also leads staff, projects, or programs in addition to performing higher level responsibilities.
Supervision Required: Directly supervised by Superintendent of facilities or Maintenance Foreman
Work Environment: Works indoors at Mountain Recreation facilities and outdoors at Ballfield complexes and at various fields throughout the District. Work hours will vary, including evening hours and weekends.
Examples of Duties
- Maintains and cleans facilities
- Operates and maintains grounds care equipment such as mowers, tractors, weed eaters, sprayers, and some heavy equipment
- Maintains the district’s sport fields for practice and game play, including dragging, harrowing, and watering playing surfaces marking fields.
- Identifies and eliminates safety hazards.
- Performs snow removal and ice control duties
- Assists with new construction and remodeling in such areas as carpentry, painting, plumbing, concrete work, excavation, wildlife habitat and upland natural areas.
- Cleaning: Complex bathrooms, sheds, bleachers, concession stand, dug outs
- Trash and recycling removal (large items to dump)
- Irrigation responsibilities: install, maintain, clean heads, blow lines, trouble-shoot problems, aeration, winterize systems
- Assists with set up, operation, and tear down of special events.
- Communicates openly and constructively with supervisor and district employees to enable efficient decision-making and positive morale.
- Maintains equipment in clean and safe condition; operate equipment safely at all times.
- General maintenance: change light bulbs, scoreboards
- Installs field advertisement signs and rink dasher boards
- Maintains fencing and signage at fields
- Informs appropriate personnel of any needed repairs to equipment
- Informs supervisor of any known situation that may be hazardous to the public or staff
- Assists with Mountain Recreation inventory; maintain and keep tools in working order
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge & Skills:
Basic Knowledge; of the principles, practices and methods used in park maintenance repair and construction; maintenance and safe operation of powered equipment and hand tools.
Skill and Ability: to safely operate powered equipment and hand tools; understand and follow oral and written instructions; work independently, exercise initiative and good judgment; perform physical labor, lift heavy objects, and traverse rough terrain on job sites; establish and maintain effective, cooperative and respectful working relationships with all contacts.
Valid Colorado Drivers License and clean driving record, effective communication and interpersonal skills, knowledge of irrigation systems, experience operating equipment.
Materials and Equipment Directly Used: Lawn Mower, weed eater, Gator 2X4, paint sprayer, personal safety equipment, floor scrubber, ladders
Education and Experience:
- Three (3) years of experience in park services, public works, or related field, with emphasis on specialized trade (turf management, irrigation, arbor culture, horticulture, forestry, trails, etc.); AND
- One (1) year experience leading or supervising a crew; OR
- Any satisfactory combination of experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge, skills and ability to perform the above described work.
- Education / Training
- Employee Recognition Program
- Health Insurance
- Mental Health Resources
- Paid Time Off