Assistant Chief Engineer
Salary: $65,000-80,000, plus 10% bonus potential
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Vail Valley, CO
Publish Date: Posted May 24, 2023
The Sonnenalp is hiring an Full-Time Year-Round Assistant Chief Engineer.
Wage: $65,000-80,000 plus 10% bonus potential
Typical Schedule: 5 days per week, some evenings and weekends
Primary Purpose of Position
The Assistant Chief Engineer’s primarily responsibilities are to assist the Director of Facilities with the maintenance of all electrical and mechanical equipment used in heating, air-conditioning, refrigeration, water-supply, and power systems for the Sonnenalp Hotel, One Willow Bridge Road, and Sonnenalp Club. This should be done in such a manner as to ensure total guest satisfaction and quick and effective resolution of problems and complaints. Critical to success in this responsibility is participation in and compliance to the preventative maintenance schedule and program as outlined by the company. Maintaining all facilities in a quality manner consistent with budget parameters is of the utmost importance. This position reports directly to the Director of Facilities of the hotel and is responsible for the supervision and productivity of all employees in the engineering area including staffing, training and performance management. The Assistant Chief Engineer will be responsible for being able to perform duties of the Director of Facilities in his absence. The incumbent must be willing to work varying shifts, which include mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Daily maintenance including: daily rounds, checking gauges and operation of boilers, water temperatures, circulating pumps, water and electric meters, compressors, and air handlers, etc.
- Attends daily morning DQU meeting for immediate follow up guest maintenance issues.
- Complete work orders assigned by Director.
- Be responsible for planning in advance and scheduling ahead for various seasonal and special projects in order to have adequate extra help or have contractors available when needed.
- Coordinate, oversee, and follow-through work done by outside contractors.
- Order major parts, equipment and tools for all Sonnenalp facilities.
Respond to guests in a friendly, helpful and professional manner at all times.
- Perform and develop preventative maintenance for all facilities and equipment.
- Assist co-workers and Director in all functions of the Engineering Department—on and off site.
- Maintain and operate all equipment at optimum effectiveness, efficiency and safety ensuring regulatory compliance to facility regulations and safety standards.
- Proactively advise management on current and potential engineering problems.
- Consult blueprints or product manuals in order to fix boilers or air-conditioning motors.
- Direct engineering personnel in formulating plans, designs, cost estimates, and specifications for repairs, construction, maintenance, and modernization programs.
- Supervision, oversight and coordination of staff.Ensures that engineering staff receives proper training their respective job duties.
- Inspect, evaluate, and follow-up on employee’s work (including everyday tasks, PMs, etc.).
- Coach and mentor employees in order to support department succession planning.
- Review, prioritize, and assign outstanding work orders and tasks to staff.
- Handle staff performance management, reward and recognition.
- Supervises annual operating budgets and manages controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals, compiles reports for on-going communications.
- Conducts special investigations and studies to evaluate efficiency of engineering programs and processes.
- Fire alarm and safety: Knows and abides by all Hotel safety and emergency procedures. Locates problem area, assist Fire Department and reset elevators.
- Performs annual/semi-annual/quarterly Property Maintenance audits & participates in Perfect Room Inspection program in conjunction with Housekeeping.
- Oversees summer furniture move from storage and seasonal Christmas lighting and décor.
- Maintains company vehicle fleet, to include preventative and as-needed repairs.
- Follow all emergency, safety and sanitary procedures precisely
- Maintain organized shop, mechanical rooms, work areas and storerooms.
- Participates in and makes recommendations in regard to green/sustainable initiatives such as monitoring utility usage.
- Represent Engineering at meetings when necessary.
- Be a leader and able to step in for the Directors duties in his absence.
- Perform any further duties as required by the Director of Facilities.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a hotel engineering department or similar environment.
- Minimum 2 years management experience, with emphasis in mentoring and coaching.
- Minimum 1 year experience with budgeting and vendor negotiation.
- Must hold certification in one of the following: CPO, EPA 608 universal, Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC, BMS (Niagara AX/Trane)
- Technical experience should include:
- HVAC, plumbing, and electrical systems and controls high level skills.
- Must be familiar with boilers, chillers, and refrigeration equipment and controls.
- Practical experience should include: painting, drywall repair, carpentry, and other miscellaneous maintenance duties.
- Should be familiar with pool, hot tub and spa equipment operations. CPO certified is preferred.
- Should be familiar with commercial kitchen and commercial laundry equipment repairs.
- Room maintenance and repairs, including: floor heat, gas fireplaces, light fixtures, switches, locks, bathroom fixtures, doors, windows. TV, DVD, mini-refrigerator and safes.
- Must have good diagnostic skills and know when to call in an outside contractor.
- Able to use and interpret the Trane Communication heating and cooling system.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
Must be proficient in e-mail, internet and Microsoft Office programs.
HotSOS experience preferred.
High level of guest service skills an absolute must.
Essential Physical Requirements
- Must be able to lift, carry, push and pull material weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Must be able to work under conditions requiring prolonged standing, lengthy walking, frequent bending, stretching, crawling through tight spaces and working up to roof top level.
- Requires the ability to distinguish colors and symbols.
- Requires frequent exposure to dust, dirt, water and chemicals.
- Required to work outside in all weather conditions.
- May be required to work evenings and weekends.
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Resort Discounts
- Holiday Pay, Paid Time Off and Sick Pay
- 401(k) Retirement Plan & Roth 401(k)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Parking Credit or Discounted Bus Passes
- Healthy Lifestyle Winter Benefit
- Education / Training
- Employee Recognition Program
- Health Insurance
- Mental Health Resources
- Paid Time Off